Pennsylvania's Act 101 and other state laws, effective September 1990, require that all commercial establishments recycle. Fines for not recycling can reach $1,000 per day and per occurrence.
It is mandatory for commercial establishments to contract for recycling services when contracting for waste removal.
Recyclable materials must be separated from municipal solid waste generated at commercial, institutional and municipal establishments located within the City of Lebanon. Materials to be separated include at minimum the following:
- PLASTIC #1 & PLASTIC #2
- MIXED OFFICE PAPER (see the paper recycling guide below)
- CORRUGATED CARDBOARD
- ALUMINUM CANS
- TIN CANS
- CLEAR & COLORED GLASS BOTTLES
(This requirement does not apply to materials coming into contact with infectious waste.)
Starting (and continuing!) your commercial recycling program......
- Evaluate your waste. Determine what recyclable items you use and the quantity of those items. You may want to designate an employee as a recycling coordinator for your office.
- Contact your waste hauler. Contact your contracted hauler to set up a recycling schedule and designated area.
- Keep it simple. Clearly label all containers and place them where they can be easily accessed by everyone
- Take pride in doing it. Set an example. Make sure that materials end up in the proper designated bins.
- Be environmentally aware. Look for ways to reduce waste and increase recycling. Consider buying recycled items and items with environmentally friendly and reduced packaging. Recycle non-required items to the best of your abilities. Be creative.
- Help your community. Recycling puts money back into our community by way of grant money and this increases the benefits to both our City and our enviornment.
City of Lebanon Commercial Waste Paper Recycling Guide
Office paper consists of these materials:
- Copier paper
- Computer paper
- Office envelopes (excluding yellow or brown)
- Window envelopes
- Post It notes
- Ledger paper
- Colored paper
- Shredded paper
Items that are NOT acceptable in a recycling container:
- Food and food wrappers
- Carbon paper
- Napkins and paper towels
- Paper cups and paper plates
- Padded envelopes
- Tablet backs and bindings
- Wax coated paper
- Glossy paper
Make sure paper recycling containers are clearly marked for recycling.
Please direct any questions to the City of Lebanon Recycling Coordinator at (717) 273-6711 ext. 2430, or to the Greater Lebanon Refuse Authority at (717) 867-5790.