[Skip to Content]

Eating and Drinking Licenses

Eating and Drinking Licenses

The City of Lebanon codified ordinance requires that anyone operating an eating and drinking establishment within the City of Lebanon, being permanent or temporary, must obtain an Food Establishment and Retail Facility license. 

Fees: The fee for processing new applications is $25.00 and a plan review and inspection for new establishments is $100.00. 

In accordance with Section 1103 of the Codified Ordinances of the City of Lebanon, known as "The Food Code", the City has adopted the provisions of Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Title 7, , as published by the Bureau of Food Safety and Laboratory Services, Division of Food Safety, 2301 North Cameron Street, Harrisburg, PA and issued under the Food Act (Act 111 of 1989, as amended) and the Public Eating & Drinking Places Law (Act 70 of 1990). Click to here to view the 2017 U.S. Food Code as published by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

Yearly Eating and Drinking License fees are as follows:   

1. Public Eating and/or Drinking Place License or Retail Food Establishment: $125.00 

2. Retail Food Establishment (with time and temperature controlled for safety foods) - $125.00 

3. Retail Food Facility (with no time and no temperature controlled safety foods) - $75.00 

4. Mobile Retail Food Establishment (w/time and temperature controlled safety foods) - $125.00 

5. Mobile Retail Food Establishment (with no time and no temperature controlled foods) - $75.00 

6. Temporary Food Sales - $30.00 per event, for a maximum of three events per calendar year.  More than three events will be considered a permanent retail food facility and a fee of $125.00 will be assessed. 

7. Individual Farmers' Market Food Operator - $45.00

Permanent For Profit:

To obtain a new for-profit license or permit:

1. Complete the Application for Retail Food Facility Plan Review Application. 

2. Return the completed application to the Department of Public Safety, 735 Cumberland Street, Lebanon, PA 17042. Include payment of $25.00 to process the application and $100.00 for the plan review and preliminary inspection. Make check payable to City of Lebanon. 

3. Contact the Department of Public Safety at 717-639-2800 to schedule an inspection. 

4. Upon passing the inspection, payment is due of $100.00; check payable to City of Lebanon. 

5. Upon payment, a license will be mailed or can be picked up in the Department of Public Safety, 735 Cumberland Street, Lebanon.

Temporary For-Profit: (Craft Shows, Street Fair, etc.):

To obtain a temporary for-profit license or permit: 

1. As soon as possible prior to the event download this form

2. Return the form and payment to the Public Safety Department, 735 Cumberland Street, Lebanon.

3. Upon approval, a license will be mailed or can be picked up in the Department of Public Safety, 735 Cumberland Street, Lebanon.


To obtain a non-profit license or permit: 

1. No less than thirty (30) days prior to the date of the function, download this form

2. Return the form along with a copy of your federal tax exemption form (form #1220) to thePublic Safety Department, 735 Cumberland Street, Lebanon.

3. Upon approval, a license will be mailed or can be picked up in the Department of Public Safety, 735 Cumberland Street, Lebanon.

Inspections: All public eating and drinking establishments will be inspected annually unless a complaint is filed with the City Health Inspector. All complaints are thoroughly investigated. The City Health Inspector reports all findings to the Board of Health and the Mayor. Any establishments not meeting the requirements of the City of Lebanon codified ordinances or Act 46 PA Health Code will have their license denied or suspended.Yearly E&D License Renewal Procedure: Invoices are mailed in April. After the payment is received, the license is mailed. An inspection will be scheduled. Licenses are valid from July 1st to June 30th of the following year. 

Dept. of Agriculture Compliance

One supervisory employee in a licensed food establishment must be certified in food safety and sanitation in order with the state's Department of Agriculture Food Employee Certification Act.

Who needs to comply with the Food Employee Certification Act?


Food Service Establishments - Restaurants (take-out or eat-in), fast foods to gourmet; Deli's - make sandwiches, slice meats and cheeses, hot foods; Snack bars - prepare hot and cold foods; Fairs/carnivals - Juice extract stand (lemonade and other fruits), Hot dogs and hamburgers, Hand dipped ice cream, Pizza prepared on site, Shaved ice, Snow cones, Fry, grill, cook, roast, steam any foods, Prepare sandwiches, subs, salads, Prepare fresh fruit cup, Prepare pierogies, Belgium waffles with frozen dessert topping; stadiums, race tracks, parks; Food vendors - hot dogs and other hot and cold foods; Donut shops that prepare sandwiches, etc, Bars, clubs; Recreational facilities; Commissaries, caterers.

Frozen Dessert Manufacturers - Any manufacturer of frozen dessert, offering the product for retail sale to the public, shall comply with the Act. 

Bakeries - Bakery products which require refrigeration: cheesecakes, cream filled pies, cannoli, custard pies, meringue pies, etc. Also, products made with fresh whole eggs, milk or milk products when the baking time and/or temperature is not adequate to eliminate pathogenic microorganisms or toxins. 

Retail Food Stores - Includes all, with the exception of the following: (1) Store that sells only commercially prepackaged foods and, (2) store that does not sell any potentially hazardous food. Examples: produce stand that does not cut or slice; corner store that sells milk, bread and canned goods; candy store; a store that sells prepackaged meat, canned goods, paper goods and milk; store that purchases sandwiches from a commissary and sells them from a refrigerated case along with bottled drinks and other commercially prepackaged foods; and a store selling sodas, bottled water, commercially prepackaged foods and milk. 

Food Processors - May include any of the following: salad manufacturer, shellfish or seafood processing, ice manufacturer, fresh juice processor, cut fruits, tofu manufacturer, garlic-in-oil, sushi operations, cider press and butcher stand in a farmers market that processes meat and/or poultry, makes sausages, slices meats and cheeses. Manufacturers of prepackaged, non-potentially hazardous foods are exempt from the Act.


Food Safety Training:

Registration Contact:  Andy Hirneisen - ajh284@psu.edu - Phone: 610-378-1327

Class Dates: Visit www.extension.psu.edu/servsafe for class dates and locations. 

For more Information: Andy Hirneisen, Penn State Extension, Berks County Ag Center, 1238 County Welfare Road, Suite 110, Leesport, PA  19533  610-378-1327 ajh284@psu.edu

Materials: ServSafe Essentials book and exam, ServSafe Essentials Study Guide

Location: Food and Alcohol Training Center for Excellence, 25 Swinehart Road, Gilbertsville, PA

Registration: Contact the Training Center at 866.394.1776 or 610.970.1776, Ext. 147

For more information: Visit www.PasterTraining.com 

Additional information: Locations in and around Lebanon to provide training.